5 tips for a first presentation. Whenever I present at or attend a business event I hear lots of people say things like ‘I wish I could present’ or ‘I wish I had the confidence to be a presenter’ – so this episode is all about helping you get that first event presentation gig under your belt. Aim for a small event where you might have 15 to 20 people and you are speaking session is for 10 to 15 minutes. The 5 tips for a first presentation revolve around the following:
- Put yourself forward and get the event booked
- Plan what you will share and think ‘share not speak’ – set a Purpose – what you want the audience to get from your presentation
- Confirm how long your session will be and what sort of mechanism you will use to deliver it – in person or virtual? and then put together a structure which aims to engage, educate and enthuse the audience
- Slides – yes or no? – For most small events the answer should be no – chances are the organisers won’t have any kit and if it’s a small audience it’s much easier to engage them as a person without slides but do take along some props because props will help you during the presentation and will be memorable
- Practice – not too much but just enough to feel confident – if you going to present standing up then in practice stand-up and practise delivering in 80 to 85% of your allocated time
For further tips on events and networking check out episode 186 for networking and 170 for tips on how to deliver your networking elevator pitch
This is episode 191 of the Better Presentations More Sales podcast – the previous 190 episodes are available on your usual podcast app or you can listen and download them via this link. To find out how more about how I can help you with your sales challenges in 2022 please follow this link. For presentation coaching programmes, including helping you deliver that key presentation please follow this link
If you or your company are keen to get better at sales and presentations in 2022 and you think you might need some help to make that happen let’s have a 15-20 minute informal no obligation no charge chat on Zoom. Simply click on this link to make that happen.
To find out more and potentially purchase my book please click here: 12 Business Lessons from Running and UltraMarathon.
Thanks for listening. If you like the show please do leave a review via your podcast app. or comment in Linked in or share with others. Any / all of those actions would be much appreciated.