This episode is going out originally on the 12th September 2022 and it was on the third Friday of September 2012 that I left my semi-corporate position and set up Trevor Lee Media so in this episode of the Better Presentations More Sales podcast I’m sharing 7 key business lessons I have learnt in those 10 years
The 7 key business lessons:
- How to launch, host and guest on a podcast – 10 years ago I’d never heard of podcasts and now I’ve got this one with 233 episodes and my Running 44@60 one with 97 episodes
- Write a book – lots of people aspire to write a book but had you told me 10 years ago I would write a book – 12 Business Lessons from Running an Ultra Marathon’ with another one on presentation skills well on its way to completion I would not have believed you – neither would I have believed you if you had told me I was going to run an ultramarathon at 60
- Network – a reflection although I did some networking before setting up my business I was not very good at it – I now look to achieve three things when I go networking: connect with interesting people, learn conversations and in particular the event speaker, and create some stimulating thinking about my business and how I can improve it
- Public speaking – 10 years ago I was an experienced presenter and speaker but I think in the last 10 years I’ve got better which is good news for my clients who I pass on my experiences to
- Pivoting – the 29 years of commercial newspaper experience largely around advertising almost inevitably when I set up my clients were those who need it their advertising and marketing overseen but four or so years ago I stopped doing that because I wanted to concentrate on my expertise in presentations and sales
- Listening – I think I’ve got better at listening, I probably still got a long way to go but I’ve also learnt to ask better questions and how to clarify answers to ensure misunderstandings of you and far between
- Keep learning – the final one of my seven is that no matter how experienced we are for indeed how old we are we have two choices – we decide we don’t need to learn anything else which inevitably means we will either stagnate or go backwards or we continue to learn, and for me I still got I think a lot to learn so I’m looking forward to the next 10 years of learning new things, developing new ideas, working with new clients
This is episode 233 of the Better Presentations More Sales podcast – the previous 232 episodes are available on your usual podcast app or you can listen and download them via this link.
To find out how more about how I can help you deliver confident, impactful, memorable and action inducing presentations please follow this link
Before you book any training or coaching with me it is important for you to be sure that I’m the right person for you or your team so let’s have a 15-20 minute informal no obligation no fee chat on Zoom. Simply click on this link to make that happen.
Thanks for listening. If you like the show please do leave a review via your podcast app. or comment on Linked In or share with others. Any / all of those actions would be much appreciated.